Monday, November 07, 2005

Gratuitous Day Off!!

Hurrah for my first, real post in a loooong time!!! :D

The rains have done it yet again!!

It’s a beautiful, beautiful day and we have the day off from school!! Yippee!! For yours truly, the day dawned nice and early at four-thirty thanks to an overly obligated and committed mom, who has made it her personal mission in life to get me up early and studying!!

So, you could well say that the phone call at 6 45 which went thus, brought one hell of a grin to my face!!

Me (glad for the diversion): Hello…
Pal on fone: HIE!!!!!! GUESS WHAT? GUESS WHAT? NO SCHOOL! NO SCHOOL!
Me: WOW! Okay, stop saying stuff twice over!! Very kewl…are you sure??
Pal: Positive!! Got about 10 msgs just now and UV’s confirmed too. (UV is our too-smart-for-her-blue-pants…erm..saris VP).

Me to mom (bouncing up and down and grinning): Ha!! We don’t have school!! We don’t have school!! (Very sing-song and latching on to the saying things twice thing!!)

But, apologizing to all my cheerily vetti friends, on a personal front, I really don’t think this holiday was in order! I mean, I’m not against hols and nor am I overly fond of school but c’mon…who wants to have the day off on Monday and work full day Saturday?!! Well, I don’t for sure!!

On the 27th of Oct., when the gods decided it was time we saw the most fantastic display of waterworks, the rain lashed with a vengeance at Chennai, ravaging it. Justifiably, we had a holiday that day. The next day, incredibly, the weather was as innocent and clear as can be! Not a vestige of the previous day’s torrential downpour!! That day was, to our delight, a holiday too!!

My point here is that, shouldn’t the schools and the Met. Dept. be researching the weather better before they declare the day off on clear days?? And in case of our school, make us poor things work the weekend??
Like today for instance, the weather news presaged a storm and hail for the next 48 hours, but all I can see as I peer through my window is a merry breeze blowing its way through trees – not a hint of clouds or rain!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oohh!!! 27 th of Nov my god it "kewl" that s has lost track of months

Abhi! said...

27th oct! sounds more like it!

S said...

anin and abhi:
oops!! sorry!! my bad....i've changed the date in the post... :P

Anonymous said...

true! very true! i miss class tennis of rainy days....

S said...

anin:
hehehe!!! rainy days?? tat's all you guyz ever do any darn day!!! :D anyway...though i don't play..it's a lotta fun watching you ppl do!! :D

Anonymous said...

you kno you are one of the 10 people who havent played yet!!!
play it get addicted

S said...

anin:
lolz!! tat i know!! for one i dunno how to play it...and for another i get addicted and unaddicted too fast for my own good!!! :P :D

Camphor said...

class tennis on the teacher's table?

*is instantly nostalgic*

at least uv was sweet enough to tell you (wait, does this mean that hannah is gone?).. back when she was my class teacher, it was so difficult for her to give us any hint whatsoever. Remember coming to class and being FORCED to leave when we found out that there was no school.

S said...

camphor:
lol @ uv

yup...hannah's gone...couple o' yrs back!! :) and do i remember!! we were forced to leave skool at TEN in the morning coz of rains!!! :))