Friday, March 17, 2006

Um...Excuse Me?

“Give reason why glycerol is used in cosmetics.”

Don’t wonder where that came from. That’s a question from the CBSE chemistry board paper. Class XII.

Don’t laugh, you! When I first looked at the question, I went – “What?!”. And so did a LOT of my peers.

I don’t know about you but I was under the distinct impression that the board exams are a means of testing functional knowledge on what we actually learn in school. What is relevant?

I have no clue why we’re supposed to know “why glycerol…blah”. But that’s just it! We needn’t know. Reason? Not printed in the NCERT textbook.

About glycerol in textbook:

  1. Constituent of oils and fats.

  2. By product of soap industry.

  3. Colourless, viscous, hygro-something…yes hygroscopic liquid

  4. Used in manufacture of dynamite, explosive…etc.

About cosmetics? Zilch.

Now, you might say, “Hey…grow up! You aren’t 8 year olds to be spoon-fed!!” Well, I agree. But when you’ve got eighteen painful chapters to mug and five days to do so, you can hardly go referencing…and even if you do, not for aforementioned insanity!

Five days suffice, you say. Certainly not!! A day to unwind from math debacle. Another to gear up, warm up and get going!! And you’ve got three days left. On one of which, it’s mandatory that you go visit the chem teacher. Doubts or not…immaterial!! Otherwise she’s just gonna cut you dead with words later and make you feel an inch tall….rather small!! :)

Anyway…without her, I’d have left the exam hall sobbing. Hail Sundari Ma’am!! To the best chem teacher I’ve known – cheers!! Just my way of saying “Thank You” to her!

P.S: For all those who’ve forgotten….we’re supposed to write her a review of her teaching before we leave school!! :)

16 comments:

varsha said...

you haven't mentioned all the interesting answers that people wrote fot that :
1. It's an antiseptic
2. Doesn't irritate the skin
3. Has a pleasant odour
4. Good solvent
5. Is viscous
were just a few I could remember!!
Sundari maam had a tough time not laughing out loud and discouraging us after that !! :-D

Paddyman said...

you know i think i read something about cosmetics and glycerol in the textbook..but didnt remember it during the exam and no way am i going to go through the textbook again now to quote the page number..so take my word for it if you will !

I actualy didnt go "What?!" because it was *sigh* just another idiotic mugup question(the idiotic carbo thing being the other) I had failed to read properly. I didnteven know it wasnt there in the tb !But glad to know it now all the same hehe

and also, we hav to come to school on monday for "special clasS" at 2 pm so move yourselves from the tv and get to school ! oh wait i forgot, none of you have set top boxes so nothing worth watching ! sadness and sorrow !:)))))))))

Abhi! said...

Ha Ha!!
What a question!!!

Btw, answer is there in your pos itself.. aren't soaps and by products used in the cosmetic industry?? Maybe you need a dose of Fair and Lovely!!! Oh wait, was it Lakme moisturiser?? :)

Anonymous said...

Well, if there was ntn in the text book, then the board will moderate it saying "out of portion".

Organic was a majo pain. And Sundari too. She came to VM for Lab external. And she just kinda ripped us all apart with some hi-funda viva.

S said...

@me:
i was there...i heard all the insanity!! :O...she couldn't control herself!!

and you, madam...antiseptic indeed!! :D

@koala:
you did??!! i actually pored over the textbook after i came back home...didn't find anything!! :O

and go jump off a cliff..and take ur STB with you!! hmpf!! *mutters curses*

@abhi:
itz fair n lovely...slight a problem is they expect an answer relating to CHEMISTRY...refer me's comment!! :)

@sagaro:
u got sundari for viva?! salute u for surviving it!!

i got that shit for about 5 vivas!! :O escaped her in the boards!! :D

GB said...

You put glycerol in cosmetics because glycerol is used in cosmetics because it is put in cosmetics so that it can be used in cosmetics.

End of Darkness said...

really?

Anonymous said...

sigh !! why does every one remind me of that!!
she atually laughed at my answer i wrote its a coolant...(as in cars)
thot might as well give the examiner a laugh if you dont get any marks and hope the examiner has had an amazing breakfast and stuff like that...(refer tuffy's blog)

Paddyman said...

hey you for uses of carbo, i actually thought of writing "it is used by organisms to test for iodine "
but decided against it :D

and a new post please...

AG said...

Ahem.. If I remember right, we had *ONE* day before our Chemistry exam!!!.. Okay.. yeah.. guess ur questions were slisha ambiguous.. I agree.

Anonymous said...

Yuck.Chemistry never agreed with me.I'm so glad I gave it up after school. I mean the whole point of chemistry is proving stuff right? So once it's been proved why we messing around with it?

S said...

@brownie:
shhh....stop it!! write tat in my answer and i get penalised BESIDES losing tat q!!! :O :O

@anin:
coolant???!! glycerol?? umm...isn't tat GLYCOL??!! :D :D :))

@koala:
hehehe....u told sundari?!!

@ajit:
ONE DAY??!! and u fared well a??? ambiguous is understatement!! :)

@ham:
chem is awesome. jus tat the bloody paper was appalling!! :) and slighta....tatz not the whole pt of chem!! hehehe!! pretty complex...won't get into it here!! :)

AG said...

Slighta = Slysha

Vyshnavi said...

Sundari Ma'am? You from PS?

*sigh* those lovely days! :)

CB said...

If i were you, my answer would be :

Glycerol's used in cosmetics because:
1. It's cheap
2. It smells good
3. It feels good
4. It's safe.
5. It's colourless(am takin a guess :D)

And trust me, I've written such answers.

S said...

@cb:
pure genius...i don't wonder ur in IIT! :)